Justine chasing her dreams amid the pandemic


by Susan Palmes-Dennis

Rockingham, North Carolina—On May 14 or Friday this week, Justine Patricia Estanislao will join her fellow graduates in a simple commencement ceremony at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte (UNCC).

The Filipino-American Justine will receive her Computer Science degree major in  Web and Mobile Applications. Her specialty is in developing mobile apps for online platforms like YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and so on.

The May 14 commencement ceremony will be held in person owing to easing quarantine restrictions. ‘In choosing my profession, I want to be sure I’m happy with what I choose to do,’ Justine said.

The chinita-eyed Justine already knew after graduation in high school that she wanted to attend UNCC only. But she didn’t know then what course to pursue. She spent her whole high school summer thinking what course to take.

One thing she was certain of, Justine said, was that she wanted an education. But given the various degrees, she wanted to make sure that her choice would have real bearing on her life. Justine wanted to be a teacher but she felt then that she could do more.

She then recalled that back in Hopewell High she showed interest in making websites. And so she decided on a Computer Science course, working and navigating her way through college life from Spring 2017 to Spring 2021.  

‘College was not easy but I managed it with the help of my friends and family. I enjoyed it and got out of my comfort zone,’ Justine said.

Despite the occasional bad experiences, Justine enjoyed college life by keeping her head high and plowing through its challenges. ‘There were times I wanted to quit but I kept going,’ she said. 

Spring Batch 2021 is known as the ‘pandemic graduates’ due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic that disrupted schools around the world.

She said the past two semesters really tested her patience, endurance and will. ‘I feel that college students, especially those who are beginning/ending, we don’t get that full college experience as everyone describes it,’ Justine said. This is an eye-opener for education stakeholders around the world who think that everything is fine with online learning.

Still, Justine said she learned what she can despite the limitations. ‘The full college experience comes from oneself. The times that you have and how you’ve used it with others; joining organizations, getting out there. Despite it all being online, it still can be done and that’s what I did. I found myself creating a big class chat and made new friends that way. It made me more comfortable in a way,’ she said.

For this Summer 2021 and next year, Justine will work on building her portfolio and improving her coding skills. 

She would also re-read Twilight 4: Breaking Dawn. As to whether she would teach IT or do coding, Justine said she remains proud of herself for making it this far.

I wrote a story about Justine back in 2017 (click on this link). Justine did achieve one of her dreams which is she ate octopus in Japan and she said it was yummy. 

Just like me she follows SBS Korean Drama TV if she has the time. Justine also plays the guitar when not busy pursuing her dreams in life. Justine Patricia Estanislao is chasing her dreams and I’m glad for her determination in doing so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oct. 4 deadline to buy tickets for 34th FACC Gala Night

Excitement builds for 34th FACC Gala Night

Best of Filipino bayanihan spirit in 34th FACC Gala Night