Farewell Lourdes

 


By Susan Palmes-Dennis

Rockingham, North Carolina—A lot of hearts were broken at the sudden demise of Lourdes Bitualla of Rock Hill, South Carolina last January 18.

I met Lourdes at Elsa’s Sari-Sari Store many years ago. I can still remember that she was with Ghing Voght at that time. I was interviewing Elsa Laffitte about her store that at the time was stocked with assorted Filipino goods. The ever friendly Lourdes or Des was all smiles as she pointed out to me where the ‘sardines, dried fish and silhig (native Filipino broom)’ were placed.

It was a blessing that she was a Bisaya like me, hailing from Albuera town in Leyte province.  I was new in town and looked for a source of income. As a former tri-media practitioner back in Cagayan de Oro City, I wasn’t a big deal in my adoptive country. It was Lourdes who told me about her one woman business in cleaning houses and it perked my interest enough that she asked me to register the business and she would help me with more tips. 

That was our first meeting and it made quite an impression on me. I remember she refused to model for the store that time. 

Then years later, there was this beauty product from the Philippines that I sold and Lourdes was one of those that I contacted. She invited me to her beautiful house with the franchisee owner Syvel Labajo and invited her friends. Lourdes loved to cook and invite friends over to her home.

It was at that house party where I met fellow Kagay-anons Yollie Borres and Adelle Flores. Every now and then I saw her at Facebook where we communicated from time to time. When I became active in the Filipino-American community I would always invite her to attend and during the Gala Night she would always get her tickets from me even at the last minute.

She knew where to contact me and I would find means to accommodate her by all means. We might not be that close, but when cousin Ging sought prayers for Des’s recovery I was on my knees praying for her recovery.  Just like her many friends I couldn’t believe that Lourdes is gone forever. But our memories of her will endure.

Lourdes is preceded in death by her father Dioniso Bitualla and Francoisa Gamusa, all of Albuera, Leyte

Rest easy in the loving embrace of our Lord, Lourdes and may the angels and cherub sound their trumpet as you enter the gates of heaven. And your grieving husband Danny Allen and son Sean with your sisters in the Philippines Cristita, Aurea, Emilia and Marcelina be comforted with the thoughts that you are now reunited with your parents.

The funeral service is at 2 pm right after the visitation that starts at 1 pm at Bass Cauthern Funeral Home 700 Heckle Blvd, RC , SC 29731 Again, farewell Lourdes.



Comments

  1. Thank you very much Susan . I am sure that her loved one who were called before her are happy waiting for her to join them in an everlasting life. Rest in Peace Des.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oct. 4 deadline to buy tickets for 34th FACC Gala Night

Excitement builds for 34th FACC Gala Night

Best of Filipino bayanihan spirit in 34th FACC Gala Night